Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Coffee Table Books I'd Like To See More Of


I have a few ideas for coffee table books. Are they good ideas? Well, that'd debatable but I think they'd actually be pretty interesting.

1) Water Towers
We have fairly mundane water towers here in the Pacific Northwest. When I was in high school I spent a week in New Jersey on a college campus. The college was nothing to shake a stick at (your run-of-the-mill officious brick buildings, your leafy walkways, that sort of thing) but I was amazed at how cool their water towers looked. "Wow! That's a cool water tower!" I'd say to my roommate, a guy who lived on the East who saw that sort of thing all the time. "It's just a water tower," he said. "But LOOK at it! It's almost, well, beautiful." He looked at me funny. I've been fascinated with great looking water towers ever since. On Barnes & Noble they do, indeed, have a book on Water Towers.

2) Church Reader Boards
Have you read them? That's some creative wordsmithing! They're almost like poems. Saving souls with a few letters stuck together on a board? Amazing! A lot of them are inspiring ("Break forth into joy!"). Some are honest ("When a church stops doing it starts dying). Some are funny ("God will be back next week"). Just think of a whole book of church reader board messages. God, that'd be great!

3) Old Gas Stations
They just look like they have a million stories to tell. Perhaps they do. There are several gas station-themed books out there.

What coffee table book ideas do you have?

No comments: