Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stories Coming Soon in NW Travel Magazine


I've got a few stories coming soon in Northwest Travel Magazine that I'm excited about...

1) Vashon Island.
I wrote about my beloved home for a coming issue. It's a visit-Vashon-in-a-day-type story, highlighting some of the great places on the island that people can visit. Within the story I tried to invoke the senses since they all come alive as soon as you get off the ferry boat. There's so much wonder here (the beaches, the forests, the farmstand selling fresh eggs at the side of the road) that it was hard to cram it into their specified word count. I did, though, and hope the story turns out great. The story is photographed, by the way, by Rebecca Douglas, a friend of mine on the island who does tremendous portraits (particularly of the kids at Halloween).

2) Olympia with Children.
Olympia is where I was born and raised. I lived there until I went to college then came back a few years after before I settled up near Seattle. Now that I live away from it the more I appreciate it whenever we go back to visit my family. The story, simply, is about what one can do in Olympia with kids. There's plenty - from airplane museums to nature walks, playgrounds to tours of the Capitol Building. Me and my daughter had a blast researching the story. The story is photographed by Doug Walker, a photographer based in Olympia who, strangely enough, had my dad as a teacher at Jefferson Middle School.

3) Mima Mounds.
Within the next couple months I've got to travel down and write about the Mima Mounds, a strange geologic formation outside Olympia. With a new digital camera, I might take a stab at photographing them myself!

No comments: