Monday, December 17, 2007

What I'm Researching, What I'm Writing


There's a couple stories I'm working on while Christmas fast approaches.

For Distinctly Northwest Magazine I'm doing a story about the plethora of micro-distilleries in Oregon. Oregon has the second most micro-distilleries in the country (California is the only one with more). Some of the more well-known distilleries include Clear Creek Distillery and Bendistillery, located in, you guessed it, Bend, Oregon. Funny thing - I asked if I could get sent some samples of their products. I was expecting those small airline sized bottles. On my porch, an enormous box. My wife called. "There's a huge box here from a distillery. Can I open it?" The lush. I said, sure. Inside - five full bottles of some great spirits, including Crater Lake Vodka. Crater Lake, by the way, is stunning (pictured above). Hopefully I'll be able to write the story without getting too hammered.



I'm commencing research on the life, times, and books of Sherman Alexie for Firsts Magazine. Firsts is a magazine for book collectors, specifically collectors of modern first editions. Being a collector myself (my treasures include Steinbeck's first book, Cup of Gold, an autographed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird and a first edition of Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls). I've collected Alexie for years as well. He's a Washington native, like me, he went to Washington State University, like me, and he's written all sorts of things from novels to poetry, like me. The only difference between him and me is, well, most everything. Most of the books I have I have signed because I've been to plenty of his readings. Going to an Alexie reading is an event. He really puts on a show. He makes you laugh while skewering you at the same time.



Also on the docket? My story about artist Peggy Strong and, hopefully, I can get a profile together about Harmon Killer Killebrew. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: