Thursday, May 01, 2008

In Defense of Hipster Literature


Well said, Max Ross of Rake Magazine, well said.

From the story:

I like McSweeney's.

This may come as a surprise, because I don't wear tight jeans. And even though I have thick-framed glasses, it's because I'm near-legally-blind, so if I had puny little wire-frames the lenses would stick out like half an inch, and I'd be all self-conscious about it. You can call my tortoiseshell frames trendy, even pretentious, but the fact is I need them, and that they look so good on me is purely incidental, a symptom of my otherwise-already-fantastic features. (I've been led to believe, maybe because of the movie Juno, that McSweeney's readers are prone to tight denim and unnecessarily thick spectacle frames. Greasy hair and a moth-eaten scarf might round out the picture. A plaid wool skirt over the tight jeans, for the ladies. Hipsters, if you will. Dirty, dirty hipsters.)

I like Mcsweeney's.

No comments: