Friday, January 09, 2009

What Should I Write? VOTE NOW!


I've had all sorts of ideas about books I should write lately but the ideas always get in the way of actually doing them. "Ooh! I should write about THAT!" I think to myself and then say, "But what about that?!" Help me with this dilemma, will you?

Vote for your favorite idea in the comments section and I'll write it this year.



1) The Fake American History Book

I've always thought it'd be fun to write a U.S. history textbook that's almost true. That is to say, write it like a normal history book but throw in a bunch of ridiculous lies that almost sound like they could be true but aren't. Then, push it further.



2) House of Ashes


A novel revolving around a missing child and a crumbling marriage.

3) Frontier Psychiatrist



A novel based on the song above.



4) Boston Corbett

A biography or novel or full-length play based on this man - the man who killed the man who killed Abraham Lincoln.

There you have it. Some serious books. Some not-so-serious books. What say you, my friends?

VOTE NOW!

16 comments:

Geordie Romer said...

Fake American History. Nobody does fake like Shipley!!

rachael said...

Fake American History! If we get a second choice, then vote #2 goes for Frontier Psychiatrist! Sweet! Exciting!

Anonymous said...

Frontier Psych or Fake American History-

Melinda said...

I personally vote for Boston Corbett. After so many published articles in recent years, you're up to writing a really good nonfiction book. And it could open the door for many good things in your career (including a book review, no doubt, in Smithsonian).

Nic said...

I like the idea of Fake American History BUT it could come off to some as too similar to "America (The Book)" that the Daily Show/John Stewart put out a while back... I'm sure yours would be 10 times better... but still...

I'm sure you could write something good based around Frontier Psych (and gawd knows I love me some Avalanches) but never-the-less I'm gonna have to go with...

Boston Corbett - mostly because I'm a much bigger fan of nonfiction than anything else.

John DeLeva said...

it's time you rewrite war and peace. a shorter version. cliff style. with a better ending. and make sure grace gets in there - she deserves a key roll. lots of that wry, sly shipley humor, too. i'll prepay for a copy. cheers, deleva

hungry hungry hippo said...

Either conjure the spirit of William S. and write Frontier Psychiatrist, or pick Corbett. If you choose Corbett, will you be traveling to see his monument near Concordia Kansas?

Christian said...

Corbett. I think you're up to the challenge of non-fiction - and I agree with a previous commentor in that the project might open doors for you. I think you'd do a great job of insightful, concise history, with an occasional wry-observation-frosting.

Jim said...

Boston.

Mom said...

I vote for Corbett, especially based on Melinda's reasoning.

The Litzenbergers said...

No surprise here: your buddy the history teacher says FAKE HISTORY BOOK!

-Randy

Unknown said...

Boston Corbett

Christie said...

I'm going with Boston Corbett as well, for most of the same reasons as everyone else. Time for you to try your hand at a biography. And quirky bio's are the best kind to read!

Anonymous said...

I vote Corbett. It's unusual and original, with lots of room for shenanigans if you feel like shenanigans (and a cool enough angle that it'd work really well if you decided to ply it straight). Corbett!

Marion Shipley said...

I can see you on Book TV with CSPAN, but you'll probably only get there with Corbett.

Anonymous said...

Love the fake American history idea...be sure to throw in General Custard (if you remember that incident from years ago).