Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Stars of the Stalls


What are the most popular books sold at book stalls in New York City? More Intelligent Life investigates.

From the piece...

My first discovery was that the four areas showed a curious mixture of consistency and variety. By Columbia, I found Saint Augustine’s “Confessions” and Roland Barthes’ “A Lover’s Discourse”. One of the stallholders, Adhemar Ahmad, explained that he was “trying to sell to the professors”. By contrast in Williamsburg, a painfully fashionable neighbourhood of vegan restaurants and skinny denim, I found voguish titles by the comic essayist David Sedaris. One vendor there, outside a newsagent stocked with magazines like Wound and Flaunt, also had a hefty pile of new-age literature.

After I had tallied all the stalls, a weekend spent in the company of Microsoft Excel transformed my notes into a spreadsheet of the most abundant titles and authors.

No comments: