Sunday, November 28, 2010

How Do You Become a Sex Writer?


That's the question posed, and answered, in the National Post.

From the article...

In 2004, I had a pair of Maud Frizon red snakeskin high heels that I found second-hand for twenty dollars. I wore these shoes through the snow when I met Derek Finkle and William Morassutti at Bar Italia to discuss the possibility of becoming the sex columnist for Toro magazine. I spoke about the undergraduate thesis I had written about Henry Miller’s Tropic of Cancer. They spoke about guys. I pitched oysters. They pitched sex toys. I pitched poetry. They did not. They won. And they offered me the gig.

Four years later, Toro’s run as a periodical came to an abrupt end. I had written about the G-spot, aphrodisiacs, strap-on sex and much more. I had attended female ejaculation workshops (with, ahem, live demonstrations.) I had asked intimates and strangers: How do you initiate a threesome? How do you put on a condom in the dark? How about those Ben Wa balls? Writing under the pseudonym, Bebe O’Shea, I felt like a Spy in the House of Love. No more.

Two years later, after the publication of my first novel, Stunt, HarperCollins approached me with an idea for a sex book.


Brief aside: Two books explore how bodies were understood and sex was depicted in the Renaissance. Learn more, here.

No comments: