Monday, June 20, 2011

The Unholy Trinity


Let's stop using "awesome," "amazing," and "ridiculous."

From a piece in Good Magazine...

The other day, I decided to go 24 hours without using the words “awesome” and “amazing.” A few hours later, I upped the ante and added “ridiculous” after initially giving it a pass. 'I'm an educated, verbal woman,' I told myself. 'I write for a living. I've read thousands of books. There is no reason at all why I should be using the same three words over and over.' Pleased with myself and emboldened by the encouragement of others (mostly old people), I faced the day with confidence.

Unfortunately, I failed miserably.

I was saying all three almost unconsciously. I was stopping myself mid-sentence, writing the words down and then erasing them on gchats. I'm not alone in having this problem. You know the types: young people, usually but not exclusively white, coastal, fun-loving, liberal, tan, and/or excitable. Don't feel bad; it's a problem a lot of us have. GOOD is certainly guilty of the unholy trinity. But we all need to do something about it.

No comments: