Friday, April 13, 2012

Advice on Book Tours and Readings


Some thoughts, care of the Awl.

From the piece...

My publisher was supportive during the publishing process and tour. There’s a weird vibe for a debut novel: this build up a few months prior to publication, where everyone wants you to do well, visions of solid sales numbers and great reviews. But the reality (and I’m trying hard not to be cynical sounding here) is that the publication day comes, the first tour date lands, and it’s just like every other day except you have a book to hold and read from. Which makes the “we’re sending you on a book tour” such a crazy hopeful thing for a publisher to do and I’m pretty grateful for it.

The single worst experience I had on tour was my reading in Albany. No one showed up besides my family and a few friends. When I say my family showed up I don’t mean my mom. I mean my mom, dad, grandmother, sister, aunt, uncle, three cousins, etc. It was great (they were there to support me) but also embarrassing because no one else was there. Where were my fans? To make it worse, the bookstore did no introduction (the clerk told me: “Go ahead, whenever”) and I had to slowly walk up to the podium, introduce myself to my family, and read. The best way I can describe this experience is to picture having a dream where you’re reading some fiction you wrote while standing on top of the dining room table in your parent’s house during your little brother’s birthday party.

As I’m writing this, one big question looms: are readings worth it?


No comments: