Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pablo Neruda, Interviewed


The Paris Review unearths a Neruda interview from 1971.

From the piece...


INTERVIEWER
Why did you change your name, and why did you choose “Pablo Neruda”?

PABLO NERUDA
I don’t remember. I was only thirteen or fourteen years old. I remember that it bothered my father very much that I wanted to write. With the best of intentions, he thought that writing would bring destruction to the family and myself and, especially, that it would lead me to a life of complete uselessness. He had domestic reasons for thinking so, reasons which did not weigh heavily on me. It was one of the first defensive measures that I adopted—changing my name.

INTERVIEWER
Did you choose “Neruda” because of the Czech poet Jan Neruda?

NERUDA
I’d read a short story of his. I’ve never read his poetry, but he has a book entitled Stories from Malá Strana about the humble people of that neighborhood in Prague. It is possible that my new name came from there. As I say, the whole matter is so far back in my memory that I don’t recall. Nevertheless, the Czechs think of me as one of them, as part of their nation, and I’ve had a very friendly connection with them.

INTERVIEWER
In case you are elected president of Chile, will you keep on writing?

NERUDA
For me writing is like breathing. I could not live without breathing and I could not live without writing.

1 comment:

Guilie Castillo said...

Love this--love Neruda, period. "It's like breathing"--indeed. Thanks for sharing!