Thursday, April 26, 2012

Top 5 Reasons to Let Kids Choose What Books They Want to Read


The list, care of Nerdy Book Club.

From said list...

1. When you let kids choose what they read, they will take risks.

This year, I asked my students to read widely across a variety of genres.  While I required a certain number of books in particular genres, I left the titles up to the kids.  I found in my conversations that students who had been stuck in a reading rut appreciated the nudge to explore other genres and picked up books they never would have read otherwise.  I now have students who at the beginning of the year said, “I hate fantasy books, especially ones with dragons and fairies” reading books like The Sixty Eight Rooms and Small Persons With Wings, which is not your typical fairy book!

No comments: